Hi guys! I’m just over here making some yummy sugar cookies for the hood and I thought I would share the recipe because it’s legitimately the best and easiest recipe I’ve ever used!
Sugar Cookie Dough
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Combine soft butter and sugar in mixer until smooth
- Add vanilla extract and egg to the butter/sugar mixture
- add baking powder and salt. Mix and scrape sides of bowl with spatula to make sure it’s evenly combined.
- Slowly add 3 cups of flour, scraping down sides of bowl periodically to make sure it’s all combined.
- Remove dough from the mixer and separate it into workable sized chunks.
- Sprinkle flour over your clean work surface and roll out dough.
- Cut cookies, add to pan, and bake in the preheated oven for 6-7 minutes. They will continue baking on the pan so don’t leave them in much longer than 7 minutes!
- Let cool, then decorate!
Here is a link to the dough recipe… I made a few slight changes (mostly in how to combine the dry ingredients) it is so good and the shape stays well.
(so basic, but works!)
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 4 tsp of milk
- Mix together with a whisk and add food coloring as desired! add more milk if you want it more liquid-y and add more powdered sugar if you want it stiffer.
- Add food coloring as needed.
- For solid color areas, spoon and spread the frosting on the cookie.
- for details, use stiffer frosting (add more powdered sugar) and pipe the frosting onto the cookies.
This doesn’t make tons of frosting so you may need to make a few batches, which is fine especially if you will need a few different colors. I made 2 batches and turned my orange into brown for the pumpkin stem, then I used another batch and left some plain white to pipe out the skeleton, after that I added blue to do the bats, and then added yellow to my blue leftovers to make the green.
make a few batches, add food coloring, and decorate quickly so the frosting doesn’t dry out
To make very basically decorated cookies a little cuter, make sure to add more than one color or add edible embellishments like the eyes I used!
I’m really excited to bring these to the neighbors with some cute cards tomorrow because we usually don’t do anything like this, but we have been learning lately how important it is to be good neighbors. Jesus even says we need to be so I guess we can’t argue with that!